Welcome to Hale Hina - The Home of the Hawaiian Goddess of Sunrises, Sunsets, Coral Reefs, and the Moon! Our home is very special, and has many fabulous features and amenities, including the most important and maybe the most intangible one: Hale Hina is our vacation home too.
Why should that be important to you? Because we stay at Hale Hina three times a year, and when we visit we enjoy having a beautifully decorated, well appointed and excellently maintained home. Other vacation homes, left alone by their absentee owners to be managed by a 3rd party company, will never be given the same energy, love or attention as Hale Hina.
Featuring panoramic coastline views, an infinity pool, hot tub and a gourmet kitchen, our private residence, located in the gated and guarded Keauhou Estates community, in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, is the epitome of ALOHA living.
Relax into the embrace of the Hawaiian Goddess, Hina, when you step into the grand entryway through etched glass doors depicting gorgeous Heliconia flowers and towering banana trees. Our custom 2661 square foot, three bedroom, three bath hale has everything you need for a peaceful, re-energizing, private tropical island vacation.
Upon entering the expansive great room, the cathedral ceilings create a vast sense of space. Curl up on the cushy crescent moon couch and watch your favorite Blu Ray movie on the 60” flat screen with surround sound, or listen to tunes through the integrated sound system. Let the captivating view lure you through the two giant pocket doors onto the covered lanai, as Hale Hina seamlessly connects the indoors to the outdoors.
Grill some freshly caught fish, local grass-fed beef, or your favorite veggies (picked up at the Keauhou Farmers Market) at the convenient outdoor kitchen. The lanai features ample covered dining space for six people and an outdoor seating area for cocktails and conversation. Afternoons melt away in this peaceful setting where you can unwind in the hot tub or the infinity pool and your privacy is protected by the tropical landscaping and lava rock terracing.
The gourmet indoor kitchen is a chef’s dream with granite counters, cherry cabinets and all the tools you need to make a simple meal or an epicurean delight.
The spacious master suite features a California king size bed, walk-in closet and large pocket doors that open to the lanai --revealing the soothing ocean views. Slide between the soft cool sheets after an evening soak in the hot tub, located just outside the bedroom. Unlike hotels and condos, Hale Hina’s pool and hot tub don’t have a closing time! The master bath includes a walk through marble shower concealed behind a glass etched ocean scene, Jacuzzi bathtub, a long granite counter with two sinks and a separate room with a comfort height toilet.
The second master suite includes a California king bed, a queen size Murphy bed, its own spacious bathroom with double sinks, comfort height toilet, a walk in shower with grab bar, and outside access through a sliding glass door with a path to the pool area.
The third bedroom offers a queen bed and a convertible over-sized chair that cleverly disguises a regular twin mattress. A rainforest marble shower and travertine floors complete the guest bath located just down the hall.
Let the ocean breezes carry away your stress while you watch the whales and surfers frolic off the coast during the day. Marvel in the beauty of a perfect sunset as the stars begin to ignite the sky and you watch Hina weave her moonlight magic.
Welcome home to Hale Hina.
General Excise Tax ID: GE-129-215-6928-01
Transitory Access Tax ID: TA-129-215-6928-01
About The Area
Hale Hina is located in Keauhou Estates, a 24/7 guard gated community located just a few miles south of Kailua-Kona in an unincorporated community called Keauhou. The 500' elevation allows for refreshing ocean breezes to flow through the house, and provides a breathtaking and expansive 180 degree ocean view. Kailua-Kona is a town on the west coast of Hawaii Island (the Big Island). Hulihee Palace is a former royal vacation home dating from 1838. Mokuaikaua Church, from the 1800s, is Hawaii’s oldest Christian church. On Kailua Bay, reconstructed thatched houses at Kamakahonu National Historic Landmark mark King Kamehameha I’s residence.
Kailua Kona is referred to both as “Kailua” and “Kona” by locals. The weather on this side of the Big Island is almost always dry and sunny and there are many white sand beaches perfect for sunbathing, snorkeling and swimming that are easy to reach from Kona. Kailua Kona is located where the western slopes of the Hualālai volcano meet the ocean. North of the city were the weather gets dryer you can find gorgeous beaches, the resort coast, and world- famous golf courses. The climate here is more humid and perfect for lush forests and for growing the world-famous Kona coffee.
Keauhou is a historic district just south of Kailua-Kona with a coastal area frequented by manta rays at night and whales during their migration season. Humpback whales visit Hawaiian waters each year from November to May with the peak of the season being from January to March. Breaching, jumping and frolicing whales are often seen from Hale Hina's lanai during their migration season.
The Keauhou Resort area has emerged as one of the island of Hawaii’s great cultural destinations. The area is bordered on the north coast by beautiful Kahaluu Bay with the famous Kona coffee country of Holualoa just up the slopes of Hualalai volcano. Keauhou is an area blessed with sunny weather and perfect waters for snorkeling, scuba diving and kayaking. Just down at the bottom of the street from Hale Hina is Kahalu’u Beach Park, one of the top 3 favorite snorkeling spots on the Big Island. These idyllic conditions made it a favorite hideaway of Hawaiian royalty, and today the area boasts diligently restored heiau (temples) and a wealth of historical sites.
At night, the Keauhou area attracts manta rays that feed on microscopic plankton. To really see manta rays up close and personal, go on a snorkeling or diving excursion at night and swim with the rays. Tours depart from various locations in Kona.
While the Big Island is not the best place in the state to go on a shopping spree (the population is simply to low) Kona is the best place to go shopping for souvenirs while you are on the Big Island because of the many cruise ships stopping by and because of it’s role as tourist-capital of the island. The Keauhou Shopping Center is less than a mile down the street from Hale Hina and is home to several restaurants, clothing stores, a grocery store, pharmacy, book store, art galleries, movie theater, urgent care, post office, beauty salon and jewelry store. There is also a farmers market every Saturday morning.
In Kona, the best place to look for shops is Ali’i drive. There are many shops selling everything from cheap souvenirs and t-shirts to expensive jewelry, locally made art, and anything in between. Most shops are located on the 1-mile stretch going south from the pier in Kailua bay to the Royal Kona Resort. Further inland you can find some smaller shopping centers and there is a Costco close to the Kona airport.
The Big Island is known as the golf capital of the state, and Kona is in the heart of it. Some of the biggest names in course design have carved championship golf courses into the island that will call you back to the green – again and again. The closest golf course to Hale Hina is the Kona Country Club located less than 2 miles away just down the hill.
Kailua-Kona is located on the opposite side of the Big Island from Hilo and the Kilauea Volcano. It takes 2 hours by car to reach Hilo and 2.5 hours to reach the area most recently impacted by the eruptions. Volcanoes National Park is also a 2 hour drive from Hale Hina.
Hale Hina House Rules:
- Occupancy: Hale Hina’s occupancy is a maximum of 8 (eight) people of any age. Upon special request we may make allowances for an additional guest of 1 (one) child two years old or younger. It is a violation of our contract, and will be considered a Falsified Reservation (2.), to secure your reservation for 8 people and then invite or add additional travelers or overnight guests during your contracted stay, (one additional approved child under two years excepted). Swapping guests during your visit requires notifying and obtaining approval from owners.
- Falsified Reservation: Any reservation obtained under false pretense will be subject to forfeiture of all deposits and payments, and the party will not be permitted to check-in.
- No Shows or Early Departures: Any No Shows or early departures will forfeit full payment.
- Check-in and Check-out: Check-in time is 4:00 p.m. or later. Check-out time is 11:00 a.m. or earlier. NO early check-in or late check-out unless agreed to in advance by the property manager. On days where we have guests checking in the same day as you are checking out, a late check-out fee of $75.00 may be deducted from your Damage Deposit if you haven’t departed the premises on time.
- Pets: Pets are not allowed.
- Smoking: Hale Hina is a smoke-free home. There are no exceptions. Violators who smoke in the house or on the lanai around the pool will forfeit their total Damage Deposit.
- Housekeeping: Hale Hina will be cleaned and furnished with towels, fresh linens and new soap. Interim housekeeping is not included or required for stays less than 13 nights, but is available upon request for an additional fee. Hale Hina features a dishwasher, a washer and dryer for your convenience.
- Parking: Hale Hina has a two car enclosed garage with one space open for you to park your vehicle, and one space outside the garage to park another. The HOA only allows for 2 vehicles for each guest reservation. Cars must NOT be left on the street overnight. One garage door opener will be available for you to use during your stay. Please leave garage door opener on the kitchen counter upon departure. A One Hundred Dollar ($100.00) replacement fee will be charged for any missing opener, which will be deducted from your Damage Deposit.
- Pool and Hot Tub: For your enjoyment, Hale Hina features a private infinity pool and hot tub. The pool is not covered or fenced from access to the house. There is NO life guard on duty. For your health and safety and the health and safety of future guests please keep the following safe practices in mind:
- The pool deck can be slippery when wet. Running or boisterous play is not allowed on the pool deck.Please keep glass, sharp metal objects and other hazardous objects away from the pool area.
- Children under the age of 14 should not use the pool or hot tub without adult supervision.
- Any person with an infectious or communicable disease is prohibited from using the swimming pool or hot tub. Persons with open blisters, cuts etc., are warned that these can become infected if they use the pool or hot tub.
- Spitting, spouting of water, blowing the nose, or expulsion of any other bodily fluid in the swimming pool or hot tub is prohibited.
- Infants and toddlers must use swim diapers to prevent contamination of the water.
- Elderly persons, pregnant women, infants and those with health conditions requiring medical care should consult with a physician before using the hot tub.
- Hot-water immersion while under the influence of alcohol, narcotics, drugs or medicines may lead to serious consequences and is not recommended.
- Do not use the hot tub alone.
- Long exposure to hot water may result in nausea, dizziness or fainting.
- Do not rinse off anything covered in sand in the pool. Please rinse off all sandy objects and bodies at the beach before returning home.
- Extra charges for cleaning the pool or hot tub of sand, broken glass, rocks or foreign objects or contaminants will be deducted from your Damage Deposit.
- Damage Deposit: A refundable Damage Deposit of $550.00 is due with the Final Payment sixty (60) days prior to your arrival and will be held on your credit card until you check-out of Hale Hina. Due to valuable items in our Hale, this Damage Deposit will be held in the event there is damage or theft occurring in Hale Hina. (If there is damage or theft then this agreement gives the owner of Hale Hina the right to charge any additional fees not covered by the $550.00 Damage Deposit to your credit card.) This Damage Deposit is fully refundable within 14 days of departure providing:
- No damage is done to the Hale or its contents, beyond normal wear and tear.
- No items are missing upon your departure that were there when you arrived.
- Violations of Homeowners’ Association Rules are subject to fines if incurred and will be deducted from Damage Deposit.
- All debris, rubbish and discards from every room are placed in the outside large trash bins. Trash is only picked up once a week. If you don’t put the trash out on trash day, or if there is an excessive amount of trash left in the house, or if both bins are full upon your departure requiring an additional interim pick-up, a $50.00 charge for the extra trash pickup will be deducted from your Damage Deposit.
- Soiled dishes are placed in the dishwasher and the dishwasher is started.
- All occupied beds are left undone for proper cleaning after check-out.
- One load of sheets or towels are placed in the washer and started.
- All the doors and windows are closed and locked.
- All controls for air-conditioning are set back to off position.
- NO early check-in or late check-out unless agreed to in advance by the property manager. On days where we have guests checking in the same day as you are checking out, a late check-out fee of $75.00 may be deducted from your Damage Deposit if you haven’t departed the premises on time.
- Please leave garage door opener on the kitchen counter upon departure. Replacement fee of One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) will be deducted from the Damage Deposit.
- No sand, broken glass, rocks, foreign objects or contaminants are in the pool or spa, and the water is not discolored. An extra charge for decontaminating, cleaning, and removing any foreign objects from the pool will be deducted from your Damage Deposit. If the pool requires draining and refilling, you will also be subject to an additional water charge.
Hale Hina is a single story, three bedroom, three bath home. The Guest Suite bathroom has a comfort height toilet, a grab bar in the shower and a hand-held shower head. A shower seat is available upon request. There is one step up into the house from the garage, otherwise access to all the rooms, lanai and pool is level and flat. Therefore, Hale Hina is suitable for guests who use a wheel chair or walker, but who can also stand up and walk with assistance.
Hale Hina is not baby-proofed. None of the plugs have covers and none of the cabinets have locks. Additionally, the pool is freely accessible from the lanai and the inside of the house if the sliding glass or screen doors are not kept shut. Vigilant supervision of all toddlers and children while staying at Hale Hina is imperative.